Wednesday 5 June 2013

Our Cemetery Walk

On Friday the 31st of May, Tremendous T4 and room 4 were lucky enough to go on a short excursion to the local pioneer cemetery. 

A strange place for a school excursion you say?.....Well perhaps, but we have been learning about our local history and found some VERY interesting information about some of the early settlers to our area.


Our Cemetery Walk on PhotoPeach  

Here are some of the recounts written by the students in our class:


Our Cemetery Walk
Written by Isabelle 
(Year 3)
 
On Friday the 31st of May, T4 and room 4 which was Mrs K's room, were lucky enough to go for a walk to the Old Australind Cemetery.

First, we lined up nicely in our groups. In my group there was me, Connor, Hamish and Alby. It wasn't to far a walk from our school. When we got to the cemetery, we looked for Marshall Waller Clifton's grave. He died in 1861 which was 152 years ago!

Next, we found Doctor Anthony Carpenter's grave. He was the first person to be buried in the cemetery in 1842. He was 32 years old when he died. He came to Australind on the Parkfield ship with Marshall Waller Clifton.

The last person to live in Henton Cottage was Phillip Edward Nutley. We saw his grave also. Marshall Clifton's wife Elinor Bell was also buried there. In Australind they named a road after her.

I found going to the was really interesting and it was great seeing the actual graves of the people we have been learning about. I think it is really important that we are careful to look after the cemetery so that all people can learn about our local history.


Our Cemetery Walk
Written by  Claire
(Year 3)

On Friday, my class and Mrs K's class went on an exciting walk to the old Australind Cemetery. 

To begin with, we got into our six groups and we had one leader in each group. I was the leader of my group. The we set off to the cemetery. When we got there, there was a sign that said 'established in 1842'. While we were in there, we were doing a scavenger hunt. The first question was 'how old was Marshall Waller Clifton when he died?' The answer to the question was 73.

Secondly, I found out that Doctor Anthony Carpenter was the first to get buried at the cemetery. He also sailed to Australind on the Parkfield ship with Marshall Waller Clifton.

Finally, when it was time to go, we headed towards the entry archway and Mrs M took a photo of all my class. When Mrs M finished taking the photo, we had to catch up with the others because they were ahead of us!

I strongly believe that knocking the cemetery down would be a tragedy to all of us because it is a special place in our community and a significant part of our history. This is why we need to work together to protect it!

The Cemetery 
 Written by Eric 
(Year 2)

On Friday the 31st of May, my class and I and room 4 (which was Mrs K's class) went to the cemetery for an excursion. We even got to do a scavenger hunt and we needed to answer ALL the questions!

To begin with, my group leader was Charli and the other person in my group was Tyson. We looked for Marshall Waller Clifton's grave. He died in 1861 which was 152 years ago! We also saw Dr Anthony Carpenter's grave as well. He was the first to be buried in the cemetery.

Next, Tyson and I were answering our scavenger hunt questions and we found that lots of the older graves were of babies. Mrs M explained to us that it was common for babies to die in the 1800s because there were no hospitals to help them.

My favourite part of going to the cemetery was that it was very interesting to see Marshall Waller Clifton's grave, because we had learnt about him in class.

I think it is important to not build anything on the Australind Cemetery site because it is important for our history. It helps us learn about the first settlers.


We hope that you have learnt a thing or two about the history of Australind!

Love 

Tremendous T4!
 

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow T4, looks like you guys are learning some amazing things about the history of Australind.

M Nealon said...

Dear Mrs McGill and tremendous T4
I have really enjoyed reading about your excursion. I have just moved to Australind and teach at Kingston Primary School. I haven't been to the old Australind cemetery yet, but your wonderful recounts about your excursion have inspired me to go there! I was especially interested to read about Marshall Waller Clifton as I live in Clifton Park. Do you know whether Clifton Park is named after him? It sounds like you are learning a lot about the history of this area. You are lucky to have such a wonderful teacher!

Anonymous said...

I showed my mum the video of our excursion to the cemetery and she loved it so much that on our next bike ride I will go up there and I will show mum Marshall Waller Clifton, Phillip Edward Nutley, Dr Anthony Carpenter and all of the other lovely people and babies..... Samson.....

Anonymous said...

It's good to read about T4's intresting adventures and experiences. Keep up the good work crew.

Post a Comment